By: Beverly Ulbrich, Guest Writer
Most people have heard that you should mess with a puppy’s food when he’s young to ensure he doesn’t growl at or bite you. But did you know that you need to keep doing this throughout your dog’s life?
You never know when you’ll need to grab something dangerous from your dog’s mouth, or when someone might try to pet your dog while he’s chewing on something. So you need to make sure your dog knows that it’s okay.
Make sure your dog doesn’t react in any of the following situations:
- Put your hand in his food bowl and take the bowl away while he’s eating
- Pet him while he’s eating food
- Pet him when he’s chewing on a bone or other chew toy
- Take away anything he’s chewing on or playing with
- Once you’re assured he’s safe, ask other household members or friends to do the same actions